Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Swim



Last night after dinner a huge line of storms rolled through. They were strong, but rolled through quickly.  We were pleasently surprised by the coolness that followed, however temporary.  This morning it was cool enough that I actually cooked breakfast.  The kids and I enjoyed scrambled eggs, sausage and toast!  I was surprised that I actually got Wes to eat the eggs and sausage.  It was a battle, of course, but after a while he got the clue that it was what was being offered, and he ate it with little protest... interesting...

Then I had the kids get dressed and we headed out to get the oil changed on the van.  This task was due in March... oops... we also tried to do it a couple other times, but the place was closed (including after dinner yesterday)...  so, it was nice to sit with the a/c on as they finished up a couple of people ahead of us.  It was miserable to sit with the windows open while they did the deed.  As it turned out, we needed a new filter, that they didn't have in stock.  The guy told me he could get one in "a few minutes"... no problem, as far as I could tell, they had not put any new oil in my car yet, so we would be there for "a few minutes" anyway.  Well, ten minutes later, it was still a "few minutes" away.... and ten minutes after that I was asking if we could just skip it..  What part of "its 92 degrees and I have four young children in the car sounds like waiting more than twenty minutes for a filter" sounds like fun? 

Just about then the van showed up with our filter (presumably from the location on the other side of town...closer to our house... that I could have driven to with the air on and picked it up...) Anyway, after that I closed all the windows, blasted the a/c and headed home.  Just as we pulled into the garage, I saw Wes' eyes snapped shut.  Seizing the moment, I scooped him up and put him right to bed..  NAP!!! yeah!

Ava also went to bed as I could see she was fighting it.  With two down, Tay and Liv and I suited up and hit the pool.  We had a great time.  Taylor learned to "dive" which to them means hold their breath and put their face under the water.  We threw the dive rings and played seek.  I put on my water weights and did some water aerobics, lounged a little and did a lot of actual swimming.  This is really the first year in many that I have rediscovered my former love of the pool. 

After dinner we all got back in the pool for another dip.  This was the first time we got to try out Wes' new suit.  I picked up one that has a flotation vest. Our baby floaty with the seat finally kicked the bucket a couple weeks ago, since Wes is not tall enough to stand (Ava is...) I decided to give this floatation suit a try.  As it was, Wes is a bit of dare devil in the pool.  He would push you away as if he could stand or swim on his own.  This suit, with water wings, actually allows him to do that.  If he got a little over zealous, he would swallow some water and can get in "over his head" so to speak... but for the most part he can tramp around in the pool on his own.  Actually he naturally started kicking and using his arms to paddle around the pool.  That was pretty cool to see.  As for drinking the water, he thought that was sort of game, and something I guess he just has to grow out of.  It is super nice to be able to sit in the pool and interact with all the kids separately without needing to cling to one.  Wes is a natural.  Jon commented that maybe he wasn't meant to walk, he was meant to swim! 

No comments: