Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Monday, December 15, 2008

25 weeks and rolling

For those of you who don't know my husband personally, the picture he posted was totally him. That is the view I get of him nearly all day everyday. Pretend, if you will, that the light source is a computer (to be really him, it would have to be a 32" LCD from Apple) anyway, that serious concerned look on his face would be because his largest fleet of tanks and armor have just been attacked and he needs to build more armies to effectively defeat the "bad guy" from the latest real time strategy game he is drooling over. My husband is a self described geek. His work uniform these days are jeans and a thick blue long sleeved button down with his name embroidered on a white oval over his right pectoral muscle. The first time I saw it, I actually thought he got a job working on cars in the Ford garage. I think he actually likes the look, but it will always look weird to me. Still, I like the picture. There something to say about someone who can not only get their face in the frame when taking a self portrait, but totally capture their own full personality as well.


On to other things. I developed a urinary tract infection last week. Luckily, I caught it early, before there was even pain really. The doctor said that I could have been experiencing a kidney stone too, but either way they would treat with an antibiotic, so there really wasn't a point to trying to find out more. I started the antibiotics that night after work, and the symptoms have resolved. Last night though, I forgot to take the antibiotic with my dinner. When I remembered, it had already been an hour and a half. I didn't think much of it, and took the pill. About an hour later we laid down for bed, and I was significantly nauseous. For those of you how don't know me very well, I loath being nauseous. More over, I detest vomiting. I will do everything possible to prevent throwing up. I made it about an hour last night. I have the worlds best husband though. He sat by my side (not still or I still might have made it without doing the unthinkable;) then he wiped my face and helped me lay down. Cleaned up the mess. He really does rock.

For a while I had myself convinced that the preterm labor was starting. I can be very persuasive... but after getting it out, I assume it was the antibiotic, but it might have been the Salmon Tempura that I had to have for dinner, the nauseousness went away, and Jon says I actually slept for a while. I know I was up a half dozen times after that to pee, but at least I slept well for a little while. I had a very difficult time getting back to sleep after my potty breaks. The wind last night was indescribable. I laid in bed fretting about what that nasty wind was doing to the wet roads outside. I kept thinking about Jon driving to work on ice covered slick roads at 5 in the morning. I got up just before Jon left for work, and I was relieved to see that the driveway and road in front of our house were actually clear, so hopefully his ride was uneventful.

Over the weekend Jon rolled out cookie dough and made cut out cookies, which we decorated with the kids and some of closest family. It was a really nice time, but was exhausting. Jon and I vegged out on Sunday.

Friday morning I went to work to meet a lady who replied to a post I had created looking for a crib mattress. She had told me that she had one that her grandchildren had napped on, and would sell it to me for $25. Since Livi still naps in our toddler bed, we thought it would be easier to pick up a used crib mattress rather than keep switching one out everyday. When I got there the lady said, so I take it you are expecting, and I said, "two, again, actually." She stopped and looked at me and repeated, "again?". She placed the mattress in the back of the van, but when I extended the money, she said, "no, Merry Christmas", then she got in her care and drove away. It is so easy to forget that there are really good people out there. I was so humbled by her kindness that I cried all the way home. (pregnancy hormones probably helped some too...)

So the nursery furniture has all been assembled and placed, and I can hardly believe that it is all real. The clothes,receiving blankets, and cloth diapers are clean and ready in their drawers. All that is really left to do is pick up tiny baby diapers, gather the infant toys, and set up the swings... all of which can be done later.

Taylor just had is final appointment with his dietitian from the Birth to 3 program. He was born at 2 pounds 3 ounces, 13.5 inches long, and three year later, he is 26.8 pounds and 36 3/4 inches long. Livi was 1 pound 14 ounces, 13 inches long, today she is 28 pounds, 35.5 inches long. It is really very amazing to see what they have done. Thanks for everything Mary!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That's amazing that Taylor is out of B-to-3! Crazy how fast the time goes.

I have an extra crib mattress, if you need another...

Unknown said...

I think we are all set in the mattress department for a few years... Thanks for the offer though!