Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sole Burner



Last fall after I worked the finish line of the Fox Cities Marathon, I was introduced to an amazing experience... race day.  It was really fun to be a part of something really positive and exciting. I told Jon that next year I wanted to run the 5K that is held on the Saturday prior to the marathon.  I thought it would take me that long to train for and be physically capable of running a 5K. 

After only a few months, I was running 60 minutes without much difficulty, albeit slow. In November I talked Jon into running the Turkey Trot with me.  It was very cold, but fun.  I think this is probably when Jon's interest really picked up.  


As I registered for my run in the Sole Burner 5K, I discovered that the event really was designed to be family friendly.  Taylor and Liv's school has been sending home running events all year in an attempt to get the kids moving and involved.  Wes' autistic characteristics make it very difficult for us to attend events with large crowds, and loud unfamiliar sounds. So I resolved to find a sitter for Wes and Ava, and signed Tay and Liv up for the fun run.  They were excited about the bib and the shirt, but not about running so much.  Today, they drew excitement from the other kids and the clowns.  As they waited for for the start horn and as the began running, they held hands.  I was very proud of them! 








Now, we decided to run this race because we needed a goal to keep up our exercise program, but in the meantime, a family member inadvertently found a cancerous tumor on his kidney.  We decided to dedicate our run to him and named our team in honor of his fight. 

Thank you to all who supported our efforts with donations to the American Cancer Society!  

No comments: