Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Pretend

Livi and Taylor have really come to a place where pretend is more than just singing into fake microphones or talking on anything that resembles a phone.  They spend time now creating stories and worlds with their toys which they seem to totally understand.  I understand only bits and pieces of it, but it amuses me what parts they take from our world.  The other day they were playing and I over heard them talking about going to California.  They have an aunt and uncle who live in California, but otherwise this is not a big topic of conversation around here.  So I was surprised to hear them picking up on that, there are many places that we talk about a lot more that I have not heard them talk about in their play.  Sometimes I hear them talking about things and I choose to inquire.  Just a few minutes ago, Livi was talking about Jon Stanis, so I said to her, "Livi, Jon Stanis is your daddy." She proceeded to inform me that she knew that Jon Stanis was daddy and that I was her mommy and Taylor's mommy too.  So I asked her if she knew my name, which she told me was Mommy.  I said, "I am Mommy, but Daddy's name is Jon, do you know my name?"  I was totally shocked to hear her say Julie.


From 2009, Best of


It is fascinating to me how they have sort of emerged from this place of not really understanding anything around them, and in a really short period of time, they suddenly understand so much.  I find myself thinking about things more than I had before, like what programs I watch while they are around.  Livi is so adept at picking up on TV programs and movies.  I was watching her face the other day while a more adult like movie was playing, I don't remember which one, but it was at a point were the characters where very happy and joyous.  Even though she probably didn't understand why they were so happy, I could see this expression of pure joy on her face and I knew that she understood the overall emotion of the moment.  This is very different from Taylor, who will do this occasionally (usually during kid movies) but usually just ignores the TV.  Just another example of how much I love watching their development.


From 2009, Best of


Taylor continues to find hours of entertainment in pluging in and unpluging any chord that he can find.  I can't understand the fascination, but we try very hard to embrace his interest while still keeping his environment safe.


From 2009, Best of

No comments: