From 2009, Best of |
I think the last time I posted about potty training I was probably pretty frustrated. In the first weeks of November, I told Alivya that I went to the store to get more diapers for her, but he store said that they were out. I told her that the store said she was too big for diapers and she would have to use the potty. We spent three days doing the naked method again, then I put underwear on her and told her that underwear were not diapers and she must keep them dry. She did pretty darn well, and kept them dry. She had no accidents. I put pull ups on her when we went out and when she took a rare nap, and of course at night, but otherwise, she wore underwear and she kept them dry. We rewarded heavily with stickers, treats, and little toys, and pretty quickly weaned her from pull ups at all during the day. Within a week I was able to get her to sit on the cushy tushy on the big potty, and just a few weeks after that we weaned her from pull ups at night. Just after Christmas she wanted to spend the night at her grandmas and when we picked her up the next day we forgot her cushy. At first we thought we would have to go back and get it, but instead we told her it was at grandma's house and we couldn't get it. So she used the regular potty with out anything... the next day her grandma dropped it off, but we put in a closet and she has not asked for it since. So in less than two months she not only potty trained, but weaned off all the extra supportive things including potty chairs, diapers, and treats and rewards. She can do it all by herself from realizing she needs to go to flushing, putting away her stool, and turning off the light. We had some trouble getting her to go poo, but a little bit of ice cream incentive and a push with a laxative broke those fears too. I am super proud of her. Back when we were struggling so much, I never thought she would do so well so fast. She occasionally doesn't make it in time, and once or twice wet the bed, but I think these are small set backs in the big picture.
Taylor really seems to understand potty training and the need for it, but he can't seem to understand when he has to go or if he is wet. I think he is in denial about being wet since he will be honest sometimes, but not others. I really do think that he can't tell when he has to go, and until we can find a way to help him recognize those signs, potty training just isn't going to work for him. He tells me he wants to be a big boy and wear big boy underwear, he can tell me that pee pee and poo poo go in the potty and not in his pull up, he can pull up the pants and underwear/pull up, but he can't seem to tell when he is going to go. In fact sometimes he sits on the potty and I say, "did you go?" and he says "yup" but there is nothing there. Even though he sees that there is nothing there, he will insist that he went and it is in there (the potty bowl). Livi is most upset about this, she wants him to wear big boy underwear more than he wants to. She says, "but Taylor IS a BIG boy!" Its very cute, and I hope that he will be ready soon.



No comments:
Post a Comment