I meant to spend this morning preparing for skills next week. Instead, I spent the morning filling out my FAFSA, working on my taxes, and setting up accounts with the US Treasury... This was after I went to Wes' school to fetch his precious cup (we only have 2 that he will actually drink from). Since I was there, I paid his school fees and had an impromptu conference with his teacher. I usually spend New Years Day filling out my FAFSA, but this year I had so many distractions that I completely forgot to do it at all. Thankfully I got an email reminder this morning! In order to fill it out though, I had to go in and estimate my tax info... and since I was in the program, I went ahead and entered the data that I already have. That lead me to my credit union account, where I had to look up my interest for my accounts because I got a letter stating that there had been an error (to my favor for a change!). Since I was on the credit union site, I figured I might as well get these paper savings bonds figured out. I already felt like I had to work fast because Ava had an appointment to see her ophthalmologist. I have been noticing that one of her eyes sometimes drifts off, though I don't see it in any of her photos... Her primary also saw some some unequal movement when he was examining her (after I pointed it out).
So I picked her up about 10, and off we went. She got really sassy with the nurse who was trying to screen her. The nurse changed the pictures and asked Ava to tell her what the picture was. (Horse, phone, duck, car, etc) Well Ava was making it up as she went. Silly names for things. I'm not sure the nurse really got any useful assessments from it. When the doctor came in, she was a little less silly, but he also didn't ask her to name anything. He saw the drifting I was talking about right away. I only notice it intermittently, but he said it was actually constant. Hmm, you'd think we would have noticed it. He instilled some drops to dilate her eyes, and we were sent out to wait for the dilating.
There we met another little boy, only a few months younger than Ava, whose mom was smarter than me. She brought snacks for him to eat while seeing the doctor over the lunch period... She shared some with Ava, a really nice gesture. After they put us back in a room, I thought, I really should have gotten her name and number. I'm just not a social person, I always think of these thing too late. By the time we left, he was back in a room... and Ava was so sleepy and hungry... we couldn't wait.
Anyway, the doctor examined her retinas, then got down to business. Ava has exotropia. Most people know this as lazy eye. Livi had it too, but it seemed to resolve on its own. Ava will need to wear a patch over her strong eye for two hours each day. The doctor said that Ava's eyes are always working separately, were as they should be working together. Because of that, he recommended surgically "loosening" the overactive muscle. Since the problem seems to be constant, the surgery cannot wait. Happy New Year, right?!
So I picked her up about 10, and off we went. She got really sassy with the nurse who was trying to screen her. The nurse changed the pictures and asked Ava to tell her what the picture was. (Horse, phone, duck, car, etc) Well Ava was making it up as she went. Silly names for things. I'm not sure the nurse really got any useful assessments from it. When the doctor came in, she was a little less silly, but he also didn't ask her to name anything. He saw the drifting I was talking about right away. I only notice it intermittently, but he said it was actually constant. Hmm, you'd think we would have noticed it. He instilled some drops to dilate her eyes, and we were sent out to wait for the dilating.
There we met another little boy, only a few months younger than Ava, whose mom was smarter than me. She brought snacks for him to eat while seeing the doctor over the lunch period... She shared some with Ava, a really nice gesture. After they put us back in a room, I thought, I really should have gotten her name and number. I'm just not a social person, I always think of these thing too late. By the time we left, he was back in a room... and Ava was so sleepy and hungry... we couldn't wait.
Anyway, the doctor examined her retinas, then got down to business. Ava has exotropia. Most people know this as lazy eye. Livi had it too, but it seemed to resolve on its own. Ava will need to wear a patch over her strong eye for two hours each day. The doctor said that Ava's eyes are always working separately, were as they should be working together. Because of that, he recommended surgically "loosening" the overactive muscle. Since the problem seems to be constant, the surgery cannot wait. Happy New Year, right?!

No comments:
Post a Comment