A few weeks ago the kids had picture day at school, a certain popular company, known for their incredibly cheap photo sessions and characteristic white backgrounds, brought in their equipment and with permission snapped away.
I don't consider these people our competition since they can provide their service so cheap, and have their own little niche in the world. However, I am terribly disappointed as a parent that they are able to make as much profit as they do, with such utterly low quality photography. They sent home with the kids a film sized strip of "proofs" known in our world as a contact sheet. Mainly due to the size of these contact sheets, the photos, generally speaking, were fine. There were a couple photos that I like the poses, and they did manage to capture some pretty natural smiles from Taylor, but Liv was clearly not having any of it. I considered ordering a couple for the grandparents, but decided that I couldn't bare to spend $8 for an 8x10 (on photos that at best I considered, okay). Now having said all that, this company, out of the goodness of their hearts... and advertising... gave each family a free 8x10 of their children. Putting aside my feelings about Alivya's somber, less than cooperative appearance, the enlargements themselves are terrible. In Alivya's photo, for example, you can see that her left eye is completely out of focus, but most of the photograph is blurry. Her skin is all red and blotchy and their trademark white background actually appears grayish. Its a sad statement for a photo and even if the sessions are cheap (free...) the cost for a print is unbelievable. The prints that we were given to us are no better than the prints I have ordered from Walmart, where I can get an 8x10 printed in an hour for $2.84. Some people have said, "but Julie, you've charged up to $10.00 for an 8x10". This is true, our 8x10 are spray coated for protection, printed on special high quality photo paper, and come mounted (which is where the real cost comes in...)
Okay, sorry about the rant... so these are the images. They are really low quality and won't print very well, so I wouldn't bother. If you want them, you'll have to pay the outrageous and ridiculously high prices set forth by the "People". Really, if you want a nice print of the kids, let me know, we're always taking really good quality candid photos of them, and I can get prints just as good for much better prices.
No comments:
Post a Comment