Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Can you hear me YET?


From Best of 2010



Aside from this really adorable photo of Ava, this post has very little to do with Ava. Actually, I didn't have a new pic of Taylor, who is really the subject of my thoughts today. But I have an abundance of new photos of miss congeniality, so I thought it appropriate.

I posted a while back about Taylor and Livi's hearing screen. Livi passed even though she has fluid in her middle ear.  I looked through her little health book, and her doc wrote something about having fluid in it as early as 15 month check up, but since she passes the screenings, no one worries that she has fluid in her ears for three years.  Taylor on the other hand has failed numerous hearing screens, including the one in January and another one today.  Taylor had tubes placed in April 2007 and again in May 2008.  During his second surgery, they also performed an exam called an ABR.  It is essentially the same testing that is performed on newborn babies.  It is done while under sedation and is designed to test whether or not the nerves that conduct sounds to the brain are functioning.  Indeed, he passed this test with flying colors.  So, the problem with Taylor's hearing is fluid, not that he really can't hear.  So I took him to see his ENT doc today, and discovered that Taylor is testing with some deficits in hearing, and has a mild otitis media right now (ear infection).  So we left with a script for antibiotics, and will follow up again in ten days, at which time will discuss yet another surgery.  I am not excited about putting him through this again, and I sure hope this doc has something else up his sleeve.  

No comments: