Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Before and After

November 2012
March 2014  
In May of 2012, I finished my very first clinical in my nursing program.  The first clinical experience was only about 9 days long, and every day I felt like crap physically after the day was done.  I knew that nursing was a physical job, but I didn't realize just how far gone I had let my body go.  I never claimed to be healthy or in shape, but I was happy with me.  I always told myself that if I wasn't happy with me at any point, that I would do something about it.  Thus became the motivation for me to make changes in my life.

2013 Turkey Trot
I started by walking on the treadmill and keeping track of my diet on an app called My Fitness Pal.  I remember begging Jon to support me.  I really just wanted him to help me by being accommodating and positive about my changes.  We both knew that there was room for improvement for all of us, but my motivation was about me, so I wasn't concerned about everyone else.  Eventually I started asking him to do some activities with me, and encouraging him to start getting more fit as well.  After several months of this, Jon got on the treadmill, and just like that a month later he was flying past me.  His starting walking speed was almost twice my "running" speed.  I convinced him to run with me at the Thanksgiving Day fun run known as the Turkey Trot.  Soon after that, his weight was melting off.  Mine was dropping a little here, and a little there, but nothing like his.  At first it didn't bother me very much, it was sort of like a challenge, but that didn't last long.

August 2010
I am immensely proud of Jon's accomplishments with regard to his physical health and weight loss.  I am also sincerely jealous, mostly because I do work just as hard.  I am just as committed to my workouts and my plans as he is, but my results are so dramatically different.  I don't really think it is my place to put on display or brag about his success, however proud I am...    Yet many have asked for before and after images, so with his blessing, I have assembled some here.
June 2012














February 2013
November 3013








Half Marathon September 2013
































While my loss is not as dramatic as Jon's, it is important for me to remember that my lifestyle changes have made a physical difference.  So here are some of my before and afters to date:

April 2012
November 2012

January 2013
May 2013
5K September 2013


October 2013






1 comment:

Heather said...

Amazing.. Yes, men go to the bathroom and lose 5 lbs.. but look at what you are doing. You look fabulous and are inspiration! Congrats on the new you! Keep up the hard work.