Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Saturday, December 03, 2011

Good bye Benji


I learned today that my first and only dog that was ever really mine, Benji, has died of bone cancer.  

Benji came to be with us after we bought our first house in South Milwaukee.  I am and always will be, a dog lover.  Benji taught me, though, that I while I love dogs, I don't love taking care of dogs.  When Taylor and Livi were about 18 months old and starting to explore, Benji nipped at Liv twice.  The second time he nearly got her.  I decided that I couldn't stand the thought of something happening to either my child or my dog.  We were lucky though, our neighbors had taken a liking to Benji from the very day that we moved in.  They would come over and ask to walk him, or play with him.  So when things were working out badly for us, I asked them to take him.  

This arrangement worked out so nice for us.  Benji was pampered and loved in their home.  They had the time, energy, and means to care for him properly. And I still got to play/pet him any time I wanted to. I love gazing out the window and watching him.

This morning our neighbor came to tell me the news, and I can't even bare it.

I will always take comfort in knowing how much they loved him and that they took such excellent care of him.  I know that their decision to let him go was terribly difficult, and I support them completely.  Thank you, Sue and Greg for being so good to us for taking him, for loving him. 

Benji, I will miss your wagging bottom, your beautiful handsome face! 

No comments: