Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Update: Woolite, Celery, Onions

So, last week I posted on a few Pinterest pins that I tried out.  This week, I thought I should update on the progress.

Woolite:
I used my Woolite to cover all the grout in the kitchen this morning.  I covered all the grout before I left to bring the kids to school.  When I got back I got out a towel and hand scrubbed all the lines.  I worked in small six square areas, scrubbing with my brush first, then gently with a damp cloth.  Finally I towel dried the floor using the towel I was kneeling on.  As I rinsed my cloth I watched all the dirt deposit into my tub.  I had to switch out the water several times.  It was amazing.  I didn't even know what color the grout was supposed to be.  I don't know how much the Woolite really effected the effort of cleaning the grout.  I felt like my scrubbing with water almost did most of it.  So I might just try it next time without Woolite and see how it goes.

Celery:
After posting about my celery, growing in a mason jar from the remnants of a bunch that was rotting in our fridge, I planted it in a pot with dirt.  I didn't think about how I would get the celery out of the jar when I first put it in there.  Honestly, I didn't think it would grow.  So when it came to getting it out of the jar... well it took a beating.  I planted it anyway, but it was really doomed.  It never showed more growth after that and today, I'm calling it.  Time of death: 12:52pm.

Onions:
Another pin I saw showed people putting green onions in a jar with water.  They said that the onions could be used like herbs and would regrow... somewhat indefinitely.  As it turned out, I had some of those starting to rot in my fridge too.  So I put them in a jar with water, and placed it on my window sill.  It took a few days, but suddenly I noticed that the leaves had all perked up.  I clipped off the brown stems, and new bright green ones slowly replaced them.  Jon and I actually have been clipping on them too.  I can see in the jar how the roots have spread out and they look really healthy thus far... I am not sure if I intend to plant them or not.

On a side, we also had some yellow onions that started to sprout on us in our pantry.  Since I was experimenting with the green onions and celery, I just went ahead and planted them.  Actually, I told Jon that he should plant them, he was the one who just kept buying more and more onions thereby leaving them to spawn in the cupboard.  He took them and put them on top of some dirt in the pot I had designated for them.  But he did not actually plant them.  So after a few days of this, I got sick of waiting and did it myself.  I was surprised that the growth had almost doubled, and the onions had rooted into the dirt all by themselves.  I am not sure what I expect to achieve from this, but maybe I can transplant them in the garden when the weather is suitable.  As for now, they are doing really well, green and growing, even though I am terrible at watering.

Basil:
I rescued two of my basil plants that I grew from seeds last year, I potted them, and we have been eating from them since early summer.  I am really sad to report that they have taken a strong turn for the worse.  One is totally dead, and the other is so wilted that I don't think I can save it.  I am not really sure what went wrong, but I think they didn't like being moved to the patio door light.  I never knew that indoor plants could be so particular.  So I guess its time to plant some new seeds and see how it goes.

No comments: