Us

Us
Wife, Parent, Nurse; my life raw and real, as I see it.

Friday, February 06, 2009

Nipple anyone?

Tonight we went to the NICU, for obvious reasons, but expecting very little from the visit... and it turned out to be quite different. When we arrived the nurse had been preparing to feed Wes, this we expected because we asked that his feeding schedule be adjusted to accommodate our schedule a little better. We didn't, however, anticipate that it would be a bath day. So when the nurse asked if we would like to bath each of them, we were all for it.

Wes has been wearing a splint on his left foot to help correct a physical defect that occurred while he was in utero. At birth his left foot was abducted (pointed outward away from the center of his body). It is believed to have been a result of his positioning within the womb. The last bath we gave him, the nurse was not comfortable taking the splint off, so we only got to do a sponge bath. Tonight the nurse took the splint off, we were able to submerge his body in the water. It was so nice, Westli liked it too. Jon took many pictures, I am sure he will get some up soon. When Wes was all stuffed and sleeping all cozy, it was Ava's turn. She kept rolling herself up in tiny balls and slipping down on me. I appreciate the little screens that they gave the kids at West Allis a whole lot more now, but I can't remember what I did with them... so I guess we'll be holding them up. Tires out the arm... Jon took many pics of her too.

After all that we got to try Ava on the bottle for the first time. She did fantastic. She paced herself fairly well, didn't have any scary bradys or apneas, and TOOK THE WHOLE BOTTLE... 40mls! She made me so proud... good girl!

No comments: